[Alberg30] Fuel Filters for Westerbeke 13

R.C. Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Thu Jan 10 19:39:37 PST 2002

Gentlemen: Although I think you will find the idea of "identical for less" is bogus--you get what you pay for--there is even a greater danger (to your engines) in using filters based solely on price.  The ability of filters to do their job is based on the quality of construction of the case and gasket, and THE SIZE OF CONTAMINANT WHICH WILL PASS UNHINDERED THROUGH THE FILTERING MATERIAL.  Cheaper filters are cheaper because their design and construction allows--I simplify a little--larger chunks of material to pass through the filtering medium and recirculate(in the case of oil) or grind away at the innards of your injectors (in the case of diesel fuel). This ain't good, as we used to say down the country. You should buy the best filter you can find, based on the filter Mfgr.specification for the filter-- and damn the price. Westerbeke may or may not tell you who makes the filters they sell (you can bet your boots they don't make them) but it is not likely to be the best filter available.  In general, the cheapest filters are the type with a folded paper element (like frams) and the more expensive have a different filtering element--there are various types.

You will need to be aware that all manufacturers sell several different grades of filter.  READ the Mfgr's specs before you buy.
The best diesel mechanic I know taught me this a dozen years ago, and I think I have been well served by the lesson. Filters are what keep my diesel cars and the boat running when I need them. Good ones are, at any price, cheap insurance.Full stop.

Best,
Rob