[Alberg30] tunning, shroud tension

Gord Laco gord at transatmarine.com
Mon Jan 14 03:54:24 PST 2002

Hi,

As usual, I have a more sinister opinion as to why successful A30's have slackish aft lowers.   Mike is right, fwd pre bend is good, and to achieve this we must tighten to fwd lowers and ease tension on the after ones.  But if the aft lowers have to be slack to achieve this the mast will "pump" in and out of column when the boat is pitching On the A30's I've worked on including my #426 the lowers are too long.  (or stretched) Consequently it has been tough to get fwd pre bend on the mast with any tension at all on the after lowers.   I can't believe they have stretched - I do suspect that they were often made a bit too long.  To add to the seriousness of this - my late uncle Con Costas was the mastmaker who supplied much rigging to Whitby Boatworks during the 60's and early 70's.  Sorry Unc!

On my list of things to do is to make new lowers about 1.5" shorter.  That way I can tune in the right minute curve and hold it there with tight lowers all around.

Gord
#426 Surprise