[Alberg30] A removable Solent stay has been installed on #111

Henry Sharpe henry_sharpe at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 19 22:28:27 PST 2002

I have installed a Solent stay (removable forestay
located close to the forestay) on #111.  It was done
to accommodate two partially conflicting purposes.
1)  to be able to fly a storm sail without having to
remove the headsail (on Harken roller furling)
2)  to be able to fly a drifter since my normal sail
in a 100% jib.  I am very satisfied with the results
inherent in the compromise.  It was entirely an owner
executed improvement and had only one marginally
difficult step.

The top of the Solent stay is affixed to the mast by a
"T" fitting swaged to the Solent stay.  I cut a slot
in the front of the mast that is backed by a stainless
plat with a identical slot.  The "T" fitting inserts
in the slot at 90 degrees and turns to operating
position.  The stainless plate is riveted (stainless)
to the mast.  The slot is about 15" +/- from the top
of the mast. (I have not looked recently, ... but I am
sure that it has not moved.)  There are no running
backstays.  There is a bail and block for the halyard
just below the clearance point where the Solent stay
enters the mast.

The lower end of the Solent terminates in a Staylock
eye fitting that in turn connects to a used backstay
tension adjuster from a Ranger 33 (massive screw and
folding lever).  The connections at both ends of the
tension adjuster are by quick release pin.

The deck fitting is a twin eye (off the shelf designed
for the purpose) that is through bolted (4 bolts) on
top of an extended teak block that supports a large
anchor roller and backed under the deck by two layers
of 1/2" plywood.  The twin eye is mated with a through
deck threaded stainless rod essentially matching the
angle of the stay (but governed by the angle of the
female threads in the twin eye fitting) that
penetrates the forepeak and exits through the bow.  On
the bow it is finished with a large washer bent to
conform with the hull, locktite, and a cap nut.
(Aligning and drilling the holes for the rod was the
only difficult step -- basically finding a long enough
drill bit of the appropriate size.)

When the Solent stay is not in use underway, it is
attached to a ring in the starboard shroud turnbuckle
with a light weight block and tackle for tension.  The
Solent stay length does not require it to be curved or
bent.  There is a stainless rub plate on the spreader.
 The tension adjuster is kept below deck.    When the
boat is not under sail, the Solent stay is fastened by
the light block and tackle to the twin eye on the
foredeck.  It is possible to sail with it in its
operating position but not practical to tack the jib
between the Solent stay and the forestay.  (Tacking
can be accomplished by furling and unfurling the jib
when the Solent stay is in its forward position.)

The local rigger was consulted in the design as was
well respected sailmaker Carol Hasse who made the
drifter and storm jib and will make a new jenny.

Sorry, I don't have the measurements in my head but
they could be provided if someone desires.  Pictures too.

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |