[Alberg30] Anchor Windlass - Delta Anchor - Swim Ladder

John Birch Sunstone at idirect.com
Tue Jan 22 09:12:20 PST 2002

Hi Taylor,

I can't speak to that windlass but I agree a manual one is better - we use a
Simpson Lawrence 555 on our A-37 and it is great - I know several who use
the smaller SL  model (Gypsy, I think) on their A-30 and are happy with
them. I think the Bruce is a good anchor, but that the 10Kg is too light for
the weeds encountered in LO, particularly in Quinte and the 1000 Islands.
Eric Hiscock used to maintain that a 35lb anchor was the minimum weight to
sink it through the weeds - who am I to argue with E.H.

The Brydon Boy is just another version of a Danforth, which are great in
Cape Cod or sandy muddy places, but quite useless in Lake Ont.

If you can afford or fit a 35lb primary anchor you will be much happier as
the windlass will do the rough stuff - I know of many A-30's that carry 35lb
CQR's or 15 Kg Bruce's - and the more chain you have - the better. We're on
all chain and I would never go back.

Hope this is some help,

John