[Alberg30] Cockpit Grating Material

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Wed Jan 23 13:32:34 PST 2002

FINNUS505 at aol.com wrote:

> Hi Bob, everyone!!!
>
> Simplest cockpit grating design I ever saw;
>
> 1/2 or 3/4" inch by 1 and 1/2" teak pieces set athwartships, every 10 " or
> so, on cockpit sole
>
> Same size pieces, set 1/2 " apart running for and aft, on top of athwartship
> pieces. One countersunk and plugged fastening at each intersection.

The one I made is "just the same, only different." I used white oak,
with long pieces runnng for and aft, and about 1/2" gaps in the cross
pieces. I bought oak 1 x 4 and ripped it to 2" (nominal) widthe. I
drilles, countere bored and plugged all holes. I also expoxied at the
gue joints. The whole project, IIRC, was about 20 hours of work. it has
survived being "dipped" twice in about 7 years to strip off all the
varnish for refinninshing.

The reason that I chose to build it this way was to transfer the loat to
the edges of the cocpit, since there is some delamnation in the center.
If you make it in one pices, as I did, and box the rectangular area
around the rudder post, you will have to remove the tiller to get it in
and out, which is necessary (at least for me) once a year, since leaves
and the like get under it. E-mail me privately if you and more details
or a picture.

--Dan Sternglass
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |