[Alberg30] Re:Public-list digest, Vol 1 #464 - 8 msgs

Alan P. Kefauver apk2 at home.com
Fri Jan 25 05:25:12 PST 2002

Thanks, I certainly will check Bacon's. What made me consider the 100 was that the Gale Sail website gives the measurement as mast top to deck height of 35' instead of boat length  of 35' although sailnet states it by boat length. And, that the A30 has such a large mainsail that it seems to balance better with a little bigger sail up front. Another factor to consider may be how deep your second reef (or lack thereof) is.
Andante #152 (who is itching to try any sail right now)

On 1/25/2002 at 5:39 AM Brian and Elaine Timmins wrote:

>If you want to use it more often, sort of like a minimum working jib, the
>100 sqft one should be fine. I have a less than full foretriangle working
>jib that I routinely use in early spring and sometimes in late fall, when
>the wind tends to be stronger. To me, a storm jib should be as small a sail
>as possible and really only be used when you don't really want to be there
>anyway.
>ATN recommends there 60 sqft sail for up to 35' boats. I was researching
>the
>idea of a storm jib for about a year before the deal I bought popped up.
>The
>best info I found came straight from the mouth of Mrs. Bacon. I also
>thought
>that 90 - 100 sqft would be the way to go, but she convinced me smaller is
>better and I think her logic on this topic is impeccable. See
>http://www.baconsails.com/stormjib.html for Bacon's area determination
>methods. Method 1 yields 40 - 70 sqft.
>Regards,
>Brian     #497

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |