[Alberg30] Re:Public-list digest, Vol 1 #464 - 8 msgs

John Birch Sunstone at postoffice.idirect.com
Fri Jan 25 07:29:11 PST 2002

I remember when I was getting a new main from Joe Fernandese we discussed
reef points location and the size of storm jibs and trisails - his answer
was it depends on what winds you will expect or might find yourself in -
there is no fixed/correct answer as the reef or sail will be too great for
some winds and too small for other winds.

Not trying to be cute here - but if you are going offshore you will likely
need both a larger and a smaller storm jib - though one trisail would do for
both, which would be about half of you deepest reef. If you find yourself
underpowered in heavy seas the chance you may fall off a large wave is
increased with insufficient power. If you are overpowered with too much
sail -well we all know what happens - you lay down and slide all over the
place. On Sunstone (A-37) our solution - being sailed shorthanded 90% of the
time - is to use our Shaffer 2000 roller furler and to roll up when past a
large #2 and then either change to a 105% #3 on the foil and/or set a storm
jib on a separate removable inner wire headstay set 42" back from the stem
on a highfield type lever ( it is tied through the deck to a stem knee with
a rod). Joe suggests that if the winds drop then unroll the larger Jib to
quickly pick up power and fly it like a Yankee. If the wind comes up again
roll it up and continue on the storm jib. We have a 45 sq ft ( from our
A-30) and a 90sq foot storm jib - one was built, the other inherited.

We have not yet tested this combo in any real wind as we have luckily been
going off the wind to our destination in those conditions.

If you are sailing only on the Chesapeake or Great Lakes, I believe the
standard 85% working jib is sufficient to get you home safe - maybe best to
set it off the genoa track for its wider slot and better support. You won't
go to weather as well, but in a gale you won't go to weather well anyway -
pointing not being much of a factor as you would crash off the waves (foot
foot foot). If you want a storm jib, they are not that expensive and used
will often suffice, if the cloth and more importantly the stitching is good.
You likely will not use it more than a couple of times.

How big a sail??? Whatever you think is the maximum wind you can carry sail
in - my guess is go for a 45sq ft - but it is a guess, and besides, if you
have it Murphy's Law will likely dictate you won't need to use it. It does
give piece of mind.

Hope these 2 cents are some help ....

John