[Alberg30] Re:Public-list digest, Vol 1 #465 - 9 msgs

Taylor Echlin taylor at echlinvests.com
Sun Jan 27 13:12:04 PST 2002

With respect to your comment:

> What
>> would a 60 sq ft Gale Sail perform like in 30 knots with a double reefed
>> main?
>> Would I be miserably underpowered?

The Alberg 30 sails very well with a #2 and no main.

In fact that's how I prefer to sail her in anything over 20-25 knots.  The
main really overpowers you when beating - even if it has 2 reefs tucked in -
and the main doesn't give you any additional speed - it simply puts the rail
in the water.

We sailed her from Niagara-on-the-Lake to Ashbridge's Bay (about 28 nautical
miles) 2 summers ago in a Lake Ontario gale 40-45 knots with 8-12 foot seas.
A lot of them broke on the foredeck - thank heavens for our dodger.  Total
time was 3 hours 30 minutes.  Honest.  It was a close reach - sometimes
beating to maintain course.

That was the first time I had ever heard the Marine radio weather forecast
for Lake Ontario call for winds of 40-45 knots, seas of 3-3.5 metres, with
winds lessening to 35 knots by mid-afternoon!

When the wind lessened to about 30 knots I put up the main with a double
reef to keep her going above 7 knots - because by then it was a close reach
all the way in.  After being in 45 knots of wind the 30 knot range seemed
pretty quiet!

Both of us were secured to the boat with safety harnesses - and we wore life
jackets.  We made the crossing that day in that weather because I wanted to
see how she would perform - and because I bought her so I could be out in
that kind of stuff without being scared.  The boat performed admirably.  And
with her full keel and somewhat heavy displacement she didn't get bounced
around too much.  It kind of felt like driving a Cadillac.

When we arrived at Ashbridge's Bay we were greeted at the dock by dozens of
sailors who watched us come in - and had wanted to be out there - but didn't
have Albergs!

Taylor
--
Taylor Echlin
le papillon - KC 612

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |