[Alberg30] Deck Repairs

greg greg at vandenbergphoto.com
Thu Jan 31 15:03:21 PST 2002

I may regret sticking my nose in here. Having been involved in the repair of such
things on our 1968 A30 #312. We have replaced our cockpit soul and repaired side
deck de lamination in areas of the non skid with good result. It is not as scary
as it looks... just time consuming. We did not cut away the wet de-laminated
areas  of the deck  ( not true of the cockpit sole) but drilled 1/4 inch holes on
a 1 inch grid over the wet areas and then with lamps dried the areas till the
moisture meter showed an acceptable content. We then injected as much epoxy resin
as the delaminated area would except and filled and smoothed the area with
thickened epoxy. Over which we applied a new non skid surface with mron(sp) and
Awlgrip's silica. We did this on the entire deck  and cockpit. It looked great
when complete. Drying was not a fast process it took days and the project took
alot of time away from sailing.

Kindest Regards- Greg

PS: I'm in west Michigan if you want to talk. 616 454 5225
PPS: Same for the cockpit sole.

"Paloma L. Hawry" wrote:

> We need to let the owner know soon if we are willing to purchase the boat
> and tackle this work.  Our expectation is that we are looking at deck
> repairs anywhere between $2000 and $7000 range - assuming we do some of the
> work ourselves. (We are handy and willing to do much of the prep and
> painting/finish work, but haven't got the experience or sufficient time for
> the structural work).  As we are on a very tight budget, we can't afford
> major surprises beyond that range.

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |