[Alberg30] Deck Repairs

Paloma L. Hawry phawry at actoras.com
Thu Jan 31 15:48:40 PST 2002

I appreciate all the responses to our quandry.  It is a major decision for
us since we will invest mightily - heart soul and money in whatever boat we
find.

We have had a very thorough survey performed with a moisture meter and have
drawings of where the suspect areas are. The surveyor's moisture meter
showed the damage to be essentially the length of both side decks, virtually
at every stanchion, no foredeck damage, a a small area on the cabin top.
(Mast step was rebuilt adequately and left open for inspection - no apparent
moisture damage in that area).  Our surveyor is locally known as "Dr. Doom"
so while we appreciate his thoroughness, we are left wondering how extensive
or serious the problem really is given that we know we are looking at a 1965
boat which is bound to have problems.  There are no noticeable soft spots.
He passed the hull and other structural aspects as alright.  The boat has
been in the water each year (fresh water) but has hardly been sailed so it
has not had the structural stress of racing and cruising, just the stress of
slow neglect.  Rigging, sails, are sound, electronics minimal, AC wiring non
compliant but for us unnecessary.   Has an old Atomic 4, but my husband is
very comfortable with engine work, and we have already priced what a rebuild
would cost.  Our budget accounts for the need to replace and upgrade many
items, but it is the deck problem that has us in a quandry...

Thus far my research and your responses have shown three distinct approaches
to repairing the decks:
1) drill holes on a 1" a grid in the damaged areas, dry thoroughtly, then
fill with epoxy and sand/refinish
2) cutout and retain top skin (remove all rotted core attached), remove
damaged core, sand down to lower skin, replace with new core material (foam
or plywood) refill with resin to the correct level, replace and fair-in the
old skin, and repaint surface as needed
3) Cut-out area, remove damaged core, replace with foam or wood and rebuild
glass deck.

Of these, it would seem to me that the second choice might make the most
sense as long as the original skin was in fairly good shape.  This would
largely preserve the original contours and molded non-skid and reduce the
fairing and surface areas requiring rebuild to look good.   Any thoughts in
comparing these approaches?  And again, does anyone know of a way to find an
individual tradesperson who might help us with the repairs?

I'll stop cluttering up the cyberwaves now...

Thanks All

Paloma L. Hawry, Partner
Actoras Consulting Group
1821 Walden Office Square Suite 400