[Alberg30] Deck Repairs

Scott Wallace tristan at one.net
Thu Jan 31 18:29:52 PST 2002

Paloma,

RELAX!!! Don't let the moisture meter of Dr. Doom turn your good efforts into
paranoia!  Most boats even ten years old have areas that have proven to not be
impenetrable from water!  Ya know, the boat sits in water, heels in water and
gets lots of rain and snow in Northern climes.  I found out a Alberg Electra from
1963  I sold to a couple had some evidence of soaked core in the cabin top,
something I never suspected nor would have imagined.  They were obviously
concerned, but all things are relative.  I sailed Spindrift in 30 knot winds with
6 foot waves on Lake Erie when a Swede 55 was the ONLY other boat in site.  Did
the moisture problem mean the coach roof would rip off and sink the boat?  Of
course not!  The top still had structural integrity due to the monocque effect of
the thick fiberglass skin with compound curves and areas of intact core.  The
real question you need to ask is:

"How important of an issue is this leak business?"

"Would I rather sail or fix the boat?"

"When is the problem fixed 'good enough'?"

If you have any skills at all, don't think you will find a sucker to fix your
boat to your standards for a relatively reasonable price, fix it your selve.  It
is reasonably simple, it will save you THOUSANDS of DOLLARS and you will have the
satisfaction, when you round the horn, that your boat is solid enough since YOU
both fixed it yourself.
I never have other people work on my boat, I fix her myself.

The feedback you have been given on this list is solid.  I would either drill
many holes, develop a grid pattern that reveals the worst areas, then you fix the
worse first.  Also your idea of removing the outer skin, rotted core and replace
old skin with epoxy, then blend and fair is solid, too, and maybe more
comprehensive that the multiple holes....

I am getting ready to buy either a Philip L. Rhodes Seafarer Ranger,a beautiful
boat 25' LOD, or a great little 24' LOD Allied Seawind fullkeel boat.  Both are
guarenteed to have tons of deck and cockpit rot under the fiberglass skin.  Both
boats will require way more work than your Alberg 35, yet I am not daunted.  The
Rhodes even needs it's wooden mast taken apart, cleaned, spliced and rebuilt.
Not only is it great fun sailing these classic plastics, but it's not a bad
exercise in visioning and actually doing the renewal work.  It is a great
combination of powerful INTUITION and SENSING...

Good Luck,

Scott Wallace, BLUENOSE 24, HELL-DIVER