[Alberg30] Exhaust system

Matthew Hay haymatthew_ at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 4 13:56:16 PDT 2002

I have a very old or possibly original exhaust system on my 1968 Alberg 30.
Rust is apparent in the first gushing out of the raw water exhaust when I
start the engine.  The exhaust fumes also seep a bit around the companion
way steps and out of the lazeret. (My fume detector goes off very often)  So
I have decided to install a hydro-lift exhaust with possibly another
complimentary muffler in the exhaust line as well? and remove the old one?
I received mixed feelings about this from the A4 mailing list.  Saying that
the original Jacketed muffler is preferable?  But a hydro-lift would also
work.  I can not afford a yard.  And the Moyer service manual makes the
hydro-lift seem doable, even though my skills are limited.  So, I see no
other option then the water lift. What mufflers do you have or recommend?
And if my muffler is rotted through, do I have to worry about water backing
into the engine, if the engine is not running, and I am sailing or just
sitting on a mooring?

Thank you,
maybe one day I will know enough to contribute and not just ask questions!

Matthew "Winsome"

 |  Boatowners Mechanical And Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder  |
 | http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/007009618X/alberg30-20 |