[Alberg30] Re: diesels

gordon white gewhite at crosslink.net
Wed Jul 17 18:02:25 PDT 2002

Don't know about air leaks, but I seem to have a siphoning problem. I
topped off the tanks last fall for the winter and came back a week later
to find that 18 gallons had siphoned out of the fill pipes and run down
the side. (Fortunately the boat was in the yard on the hard, otherwise
I'd have had the Coast Guard all over me.)

    I have twin tanks and parallel Racor filters. I am not sure just how
the siphon started, but I now shut off the fuel lines at the tank tops.

    Also, I feel in-tank screens are a menace. I have had them clog up
at the most inopportune times. I now rely upon the parallel Racor
filters (I can switch from one to the other while running if one clogs.)

- Gordon White A-275

 //       Ocean Navigator magazine, for the serious sailor        //
 // http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000066625/alberg30-20 //