[Alberg30] Ideal Tiller

Bob rjohns3 at optonline.net
Sat Jul 27 09:47:45 PDT 2002

When cruising we use an AutoHelm tiller type autopilot a lot. When we
first  started to sail offshore Barbara was concerned that while under
autopilot one of us might slip and fall across the tiller which would
break it because the autopilot was holding it in a fixed position. The
wood I found to build a spare tiller was going to have to be laminated
in three layers because I couldn't find wood thick enough to make it in
one piece. I realized that with the three piece lamination I could
easily add an extra hinge (pivot) to the tiller.

The current setup that we have  used happily for years is the following:
the autopilot controls the tiller by connecting to the tiller with a
bracket located about 15 inches from the rudder post pivot point. A
second pivot point ('hinge') on the tiller is located just forward of
the autopilot bracket. When under autopilot, the forward part of the
tiller is tilted to a vertical position so the forward part of the
cockpit is completely clear of the tiller. Only the 18 inches or so
forward of the rudder post is blocked by the stub tiller and the
autopilot.

Under autopilot the cockpit is clearer than it would be with a wheel. At
anchor the tiller is pivoted to a vertical position at the rudder post
and, as Mike pointed out, the cockpit is completely clear. All of the
advantages of the tiller are there when not using the autopilot as you
essentially then have a standard tiller. When leaving the boat on the
mooring I tie the tiller stub and the forward part of the tiller is in
the vertical position.

I can't imagine using any other arrangement on an A30 and am surprised
that I haven't seen it on other boats.

Regards,
	Bob Johns,Wind Call #397

         Cruising the Chesapeake: A Gunkholer's Guide

  My favorite Chesapeake Bay guidebook. While it mentions marinas,
  it concentrates on anchorages--the kind of places I prefer to spend
  my time. And in addition to listing shore facilities, it rates each
  location for Beauty/Interest and Protection. This is the guide you
  need to really cruise the Chesapeake Bay--a smorgasbord of small
  creeks and coves.

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071363718/alberg30-20