[Alberg30] Glue residue, teak, compass etc..

Matthew Hay haymatthew_ at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 29 10:59:27 PDT 2002

1 "The removal left some foam backing and glue residue on the interior
hull."--  I had a similar situation around the interior hull of my V berth
and gently used a scraper and different grits of sand paper to get the bumps
of glue of the glass.  Then repainted using a bathroom latex off white.

2".The boat has no compass...is there a recommendation for a compass?   Is
the little compartment just aft of the companionway the preferred
location?"----- I have a Ritchie compass mounted through my starboard
bulkhead. Down low so that you can still sit against the bulkhead with a
pillow.  I like the idea of using the hinged cutout in the cockpit for you
GPS.  Then you would have both GPS and compass in your line of vision.  I
was also thinking of adapting the table from the main solon to fit into this
little hook up for a cockpit table.

3"The cockpit seat locker panels are deteriorated...any info on what kind of
wood these were originally?---  As mentioned the wood is Teak.  My ice box
top and sail locker covers and lazzerette hatch was also badly gone to sun
and water. I was fortunate however that the actual outer wood frames were in
good shape.  Only the inner strips of teak and the plywood backing had
delaminated.  So using the existing frames you can replace the plywood
backing and the inner strips of teak.  With the aforementioned black caulk
between strips. Or as previously mentioned solid teak covers.  (but I would
be afraid of warping)  Or the strongest and most durable idea of using
glass.

4.  "Previous owners had wedged a microwave into the aft starboard salon --
I'm thinking of crafting as a Nav. station in this space--any pros or cons?"
  I may be crazy, but I would contact the previous owner and ask how they
powered the micro?  Maybe only when on shore power?  Because I would love a
micro-wave.  Rainy days bellow would certainly be easier.  And coming up
deck for your watch with fresh popcorn would be a great moral boost.  I
would have to see pictures of a nav. station conversion.  I just don't
understand navigating inside the starboard locker?  Why?  Maybe craft a teak
panel to cover the micro wave?  If the power is there?
Best,
Matt

         Cruising the Chesapeake: A Gunkholer's Guide

  My favorite Chesapeake Bay guidebook. While it mentions marinas,
  it concentrates on anchorages--the kind of places I prefer to spend
  my time. And in addition to listing shore facilities, it rates each
  location for Beauty/Interest and Protection. This is the guide you
  need to really cruise the Chesapeake Bay--a smorgasbord of small
  creeks and coves.

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071363718/alberg30-20