[Alberg30] Trailering an Alberg 30

Michael dickdurk at intercom.net
Tue Jul 2 08:02:00 PDT 2002

Around here,(flat Eastern Shore country) burning up transmissions is common for those who tow trailers-even equipped with tow packages, tranny coolers, etc. Those trailers weigh a lot less than the 10,000+ lbs. involved in towing an Alberg. If I was looking for a dedicated towing vehicle, I'd look far a manual clutch with a truck transmission (granny gear), and brakes to match. Parts cost for replacing a burned out clutch is less than $100.00, not $1,000 for an automatic.

At some point towing a max. size boat (and just the 8'9" beam of the Alberg qualifies here) with a family vehicle becomes unpractical. Can it be done? yes. Are all the headaches really worth it? That's a personal call, but not to me.

Michael