[Alberg30] Trailers and Trailering?

Scott tristan at one.net
Thu Jul 4 09:04:19 PDT 2002

For those interested in a group buy for Alberg trailers as well as concern about
how and what to use to tow them, why not check with Mike Orr at TRIAD Trailer?  I
am sure that he has accumulated a great store of wisdom by now on what is
trailerable and what is isn't and I am sure that he would be happy to share what
other sailors do with big Alberg designed full keel boats...different States have
different regulations and there are also DOT considerations for wide/heavy and
special clearance type issues...

I agree with your advice Kevin about NOT doing any manual transmission...most big
tractor trailer rigs today use automatics and my drag race acquaintances tell me
that they are about the only transmission used today on the Drag Strips...A big
automatic tranny rated for a load of 12.000 or so pounds with a special
transmission oil cooler would definately be in order!  Two other secrets to
transmission longetivity are:

Change the fluid annually or bi-annually if you tow big loads or very often; be
sure to get a garage to use a super sucker machine that pumps in new fluid to
replace the old; these can also empty the torque converter, too, where much of
your fluid is held...I also personally recommend having the garage drop the
transmission oil pan and replace the transmission oil filter...sometimes they
balk at that but later tell me that the old filter was clogged worse than they
would have suspected!

Heat is the enemy of your transmission!!!!

Tow on cool days where possible...when in traffic I always put my foot on the
brake and put the transmission in neutral at red lights and in traffic jams
because it takes a big load off of the converter and lets the tranny run
cooler...

Scott Wallace

Kevin Blanc wrote:

> I would think something even the size of a Chevy Suburban would be
> marginal. Certainly a 10,000# plus trailer load would be excessive for
> any of the current crop of SUVs. And the Alberg on a trailer would be
> remarkably high-centered and unstable.
>
> No manual transmissions for towing. It's just too much load on a clutch.
> I don't think any of the large, tow-enabled vehicles have manuals.
> Torque converters do a better job of getting the load going without self
> destructing.
>
> I have a 230 hp Trooper that I use to pull a utility trailer around. The
> Trooper is rated to tow 5,000#.  I'm not comfortable with anything more
> than 3,000#.
>
> Frankly, I'd leave the towing to someone with a very heavy duty truck.
>
> FINNUS505 at aol.com wrote:
>
> >Hey A 30 My Friends,
> >
> >What is the minimum HP and weight 'vehicle' that can tow an A30 on a suitable
> >trailer? SUV? Pickup Truck? Minvan? 67 Mustang with a 302 and a 5 speed?
> >Would torsion bars on the Mustang help?  :)
> >
> >Lee
> >Stargazer #255

 |  Boatowners Mechanical And Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder  |
 | http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/007009618X/alberg30-20 |