[Alberg30] Exhaust system

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Fri Jul 5 14:02:56 PDT 2002

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> The first step is to look for where the fumes are originating.  The
> flange on the back of the exhaust manifold is a good candidate, but
> there are other places, too.  The manifold itself could be cracked,
> of there could be a problem with the exhaust piping....

Matthew,

It took me a long time to fing out where exhaust fumes were coming from
about 4 years ago -- a lot of fumes. It turned out that the elbow in the
exhaust pipe in the bottom of the Lazarette had rusted a big hole
through it's bottom. I had to cut the exhaust pipe behind the engine and
remove the exhaust flange with the pipe, so I could separate them with a
torch. I don't remember how I got the other half out, I think I cut
through near the rusty elbow.

BTW, if you buy "sports car" insulating wrap from an auto parts store,
it's a lot cheaper than what they sell as marine, and basically the same
insulating material. Be careful with the orignal asbestos isulation, I
sprayed mine with high-temp spray paint on a long stick some years
before I removed it, the dust is obviously highly toxic.

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
 |  Boatowners Mechanical And Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder  |
 | http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/007009618X/alberg30-20 |