[Alberg30] exhaust, A4 questions.

Michael dickdurk at intercom.net
Mon Jul 8 06:10:36 PDT 2002

>Can I install the water-lift in the lazzerette were the >elbow is
currently?

Checkmate's is installed (I use that term loosely-it's just laying there)
behind the engine. There is a transverse brace back there that the hose
leading from the manifold/riser drapes over. This all dates from when the
Yanmar was retrofitted, about 20 years ago. All that loose hose, chafe
should be a problem, but it's not been so far.

Linc's description looks accurate to me, except I can do without the
asbestos. If there is unpressurized water in the system, no part of it
should get any hotter than 212 F. Checkmate's is all rubber (red) from the
manifold to the thru hull. I think the muffler in the A4 system got hot
because of the large surface area above where the water ran through it, if
you follow.

One option would be to put a check valve close to the thru hull to prevent
back flow from a large quarter wave or heel angle. At some point, the KISS
principle kicks in though :)

Michael

 |  Boatowners Mechanical And Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder  |
 | http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/007009618X/alberg30-20 |