[Alberg30] exhaust, A4 questions.

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Jul 7 20:26:23 PDT 2002

Matthew Hay wrote:

> Thank you for your reply's.  I do not have a bronze standpipe
> exhaust.  I have a small cylindrical horizontally mounted muffler,
> attached to the forward bulkhead inside the lazzerette, just below
> knee height if you were standing in the cockpit.  It has asbestos
> rapped piping which comes strait out of the manifold the length of the
> cockpit and into the port side of the lazzerette were there is a very
> deep elbow, a little more strait pipe, the (rusty) muffler, and then
> out the starbord side.  If the problem does turn out to be the
> exhaust. Can I install the water-lift in the lazzerette were the elbow
> is currently?  And taking asbestos precautions replace all of the old
> pipe with Reinforced hose from the manifold flange?

I don't think you want to run hot exhaust into hose before injecting the
water.  And I'd think you'd want the muffler relatively close to the
engine.  Mine is in the port cockpit locker.

> Also, does the alternator's "negative ground" wire, plug into the
> preexisting ground on the A4, that has a female connector and runs
> along the top of the engine from the flywheel to the top of the water
> pump.?  When I got the boat (two months ago) it was not plugged into
> the alternator.

It sounds like you're talking about the voltage-regulator sense wire.
 This definitely needs to be connected, or the alternator won't work so
well.

>   Finally, is it correct for the main out of the alternator to run
> directly to the amp meter in the engine control panel in the cockpit,
> then to the shore power converter, and then the battery via porters?
> So if my amp meter or converter is bad (or has corroded connections)
> then I will not be charging my batteries?

The alternator output does normally run to the ammeter on the engine
control panel and back.  It's not such a great setup.  You can get
ammeters that use an external shunt placed close to the battery.

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 |  Boatowners Mechanical And Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder  |
 | http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/007009618X/alberg30-20 |