[Alberg30] Exhaust

Kevin Blanc t.k.blanc at att.net
Mon Jul 8 16:52:00 PDT 2002

FWIW, here's how I did my exhaust on my A4 equipped boat..

Right out of the flange, with a 1" nipple  I did a 90 and went up 8
inches or so. Don't use a closed nipple: you won't be able to fasten the
flange to the exhaust  manifold - the top bolt will be obscured. I did
most of this assembly off the boat.) Then another 90  to go straight
back. Then a 45 to start heading down. Immediately, I used a Y,
injecting the water "vertically", the exhaust still running at 45
degrees. I guess this is more like 55 degrees as the engine is mounted
 at an angle. Then a short nipple to which the 1.25 hose was connected,
the other end of the hose connected with a very short run to the plastic
muffler. It's always worked just fine. The muffler is not too hot to touch.

I used galvanized 1.25 pipe. There are two arguments against using this.
The first is it isn't as durable as bronze. The second is that, if
raised to a high enough temperature, the zinc can gas off and be dangerous.

With regard to the first, if I had it to do again, I'd use bronze, IF I
could find a Y (it was almost impossible to find in galvanized - I had
to order it).  Still, the galvy stuff has been durable. The alternative
to the Y is a very expensive water injection elbow - a better solution,
but the system I was replacing didn't have one, and I couldn't find one.

As to the zinc gassing off, I think you'd need to be near welding
temperatures for it to matter much. I could be wrong, but I've never had
a problem.