[Alberg30] instrument panel

Bob rjohns3 at optonline.net
Mon Jul 15 11:24:16 PDT 2002

On Monday, July 15, 2002, at 12:10  PM, J Bergquist wrote:

> Has anybody got a good line or some suggestions on replacing the
> instrument panel? Mine is pretty much just old and shot, and the glass
> is broken. I could maybe refurbish it and replace the glass, but the
> tachometer/hourmeter doesn't work very well anyway (works
> intermittently, and even when it does work, I don't think it's right)
> so I thought that if it's not too difficult/expensive to get a new one,
> that would probably be a better situation. Also, some of my old
> switches are broken, bent, or otherwise tweaked. Anyway, if anybody has
> made this repair and has some advice, I'd love to hear it.

I installed a new instrument panel along with a new electrical panel and
completely rewired the boat in 1995.

The new instrument panel was changed to all electrical and included a
tachometer,temperature gauge, oil pressure gauge, voltmeter, and fuel
gauge.

  Since the engine is the Atomic 4 gasoline engine, the tach is driven
off t he distributer/coil wiring. If you have a diesel engine then you
would need to get a tach with a transducer driven by the engine.

The temperature gauge is driven by a transducer that plugs into the
engine where the old mechanical temperature gauge plugged in. Same for
the oil pressure gauge.

I chose to install an expanded scale voltmeter instead of an ammeter.

I installed an electrical fuel transducer in the fuel tank instead of
the mechanical gauge it came with.

The running time meter is part  of the new electrical panel.

The instruments are mounted on the outside of the panel to simplify the
design (Saves having to make a double panel arrangement). The
instruments that were purchased claimed to be waterproof and I have had
no problems in 7 years since I built the panel.

The panel itself is 1/4th inch lexan and is a a shiny black as seen from
the front. I sprayed the lexan on the back with flat black spray paint
so the paint would not scratch and found that from the front view looked
glossy,  not flat.

The instruments I bought require 2 1/16" holes except for the tach which
has a 3 3/8" hole. The panel is 8 3/8" by 5 1/4" and the instruments
just barely fit. They are touching each other and and the cutout in the
cockpit, so if you decide to try to install all five instruments in the
panel, measure,  measure and re-measure everything. I had to trim the
cockpit cutout slightly when I installed it.

By the way, I like having a separate pushbutton for the starter. I have
heard of cases where the momentary switch on the regular ignition switch
has jammed and the starter burned out by running continuously after the
engine started. My button switch is mounted so that you press  upward to
start the engine and this places the switch so that water won't get into
it.

Hope this helps.

Bob Johns, Wind Call #397

 //       Ocean Navigator magazine, for the serious sailor        //
 // http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000066625/alberg30-20 //