[Alberg30] Instrument Panel

Lincoln Finkenberg lfinkenberg at nyc.rr.com
Mon Jul 15 21:10:06 PDT 2002

	I replaced the old instrument panel - it costs a bit under $300.  The
instrument panel also tells you oil pressure - which is a valuable
attribute - especially if you install the instrument panel yourself. I
remember my wife's first trip with me on Gypsy - I noticed the oil pressure
drop incredibly fast and far - I was not quite sure at the time what the
heck caused this but thought it might have something to do with installation
of the mechanical tach I had just did - which is located underneath the
tranny cover. Apparently make-a-gasket is for artisans. Fortunately I was
able to sneak some oil into the engine here and there and creep back home -
whereupon I promptly bought and installed a tranny gasket.
	I tend to "monitor" the engine by sound and look at the panel whenever I
hear something that makes my heart palpitate - I'm happy with the purchase
of the panel.
	Linc Gypsy #138

>Has anybody got a good line or some suggestions on replacing the instrument
panel? Mine is
>pretty much just old and shot, and the glass is broken. I could maybe
refurbish it and replace
>the glass, but the tachometer/hourmeter doesn't work very well anyway
(works intermittently, and
>even when it does work, I don't think it's right) so I thought that if it's
not too
>difficult/expensive to get a new one, that would probably be a better
situation. Also, some of
>my old switches are broken, bent, or otherwise tweaked. Anyway, if anybody
has made this repair
>and has some advice, I'd love to hear it.

J Bergquist
Calliope #287

 //       Ocean Navigator magazine, for the serious sailor        //
 // http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000066625/alberg30-20 //