[Alberg30] Decks- patching or replacing

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Tue Jul 23 13:34:38 PDT 2002

Matt,

Gelcoat is brittle, and tends to crack at the stress points.  If the
core is not wet, you don't have a problem.

I would re-chase the cracks with a small sanding wheel on a dremel
tool and then fill with a thickened epoxy putty.  Personally, I'd
probably use W.E.S.T epoxy thickened to peanut-butter consistency
with Sea-Fit glass beads from West Marine.  Other materials would
work fine, also, but I'm familiar with these.  I'd also suggest
painting a little liquid epoxy in the cracks before troweling in
the epoxy putty.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 //       Ocean Navigator magazine, for the serious sailor        //
 // http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000066625/alberg30-20 //