[Alberg30] Hello

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Fri Jul 26 05:30:49 PDT 2002

Greg,

Yes, some Alberg 30's have been converted to wheel steering.  I
recommend against it for these reasons:

 - The "feel" of the boat is better with a tiller.  The
   principal reason for a wheel is better mechanical advantage,
   and I don't need that in the A30.

 - The tiller takes less cockpit space than a wheel.  You can
   raise the tiller out of the way completely when you're at
   anchor.  Under sail, you can lift the tiller as needed to
   clear the knees of passengers.  I made a little prop to
   go on the tiller head which props it up a bit for crowded
   cockpits for for using the autopilot.

 - A tiller is so much simpler, mechanically, than a wheel.
   Enough things go wrong on a boat without that complication.

That's my opinion,
  George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

         Cruising the Chesapeake: A Gunkholer's Guide

  My favorite Chesapeake Bay guidebook. While it mentions marinas,
  it concentrates on anchorages--the kind of places I prefer to spend
  my time. And in addition to listing shore facilities, it rates each
  location for Beauty/Interest and Protection. This is the guide you
  need to really cruise the Chesapeake Bay--a smorgasbord of small
  creeks and coves.

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071363718/alberg30-20