[Alberg30] tiller vs wheel

Crufone at aol.com Crufone at aol.com
Sat Jul 27 06:49:22 PDT 2002

Hello,
We are all used to getting complements on our Alberg 30's because they are
such beautiful boats.  We were moored in Put-in-Bay, Lake Erie and were being
picked up by the water taxi, then came the complement from one of the fellow
taxi riders, "now there is a real sailboat; it has a tiller."  I realize that
this comment was a bit naive, but a complement nonetheless.

I was interested in the Alberg 30 because it is a niche boat.  She is a
classic lines, traditional boat and does not pretend to be anything else.
She does what she does with such finesse and aplomb that it puts shivers down
my spine.

We all have our reasons for the airconditioners, coach roof mounted winches,
head sail furling, Diesel engines, wheel steerage, etc.  My baby is showroom
stock, except the previous owner installed head sail furling, and presently,
I plan to keep her that way.

If I wanted the more modern features I would have selected and purchased a
more modern boat.

The first time she impressed me was the first time we sailed her. We set her
up in Lake St. Clare, trimmed sail and started toward the Detroit River.  I
thought, gosh,  this helm is neutral.  Just for fun, I let go of the tiller,
it just sat there.  My partner and I ended up sitting on the coach roof
eating peanuts for what seemed like a half an hour while the boat sailed
herself down the lake.  Mind you, we had a steady 5 knots of wind with very
gentle 2 foot swells.  We both looked at each other and in unison said, "I
Love this boat."

Michael Connolly  #133