[Alberg30] Rookie questions

Bob rjohns3 at optonline.net
Sun Jul 28 19:10:56 PDT 2002

On Sunday, July 28, 2002, at 07:25  PM, Mary & Bill Mahony wrote:

> 2.  The boat has no compass...is there a recommendation for a
> compass?   Is the little compartment just aft of the companionway the
> preferred location?
>
> 3.  The cockpit seat locker panels are deteriorated...any info on what
> kind of wood these were originally?

Bill,

If you use a conventional liquid filled compass the compartment in the
bridge deck is too close to the engine and therefore will make it
difficult to compensate the compass for deviation. I have mine located
on the left bulkhead. I'm not sure if flux-gate compasses are in use
nowadays, but, if so, the indicator could be in the bridge deck as long
as the flux gate itself is located in an appropriate location away from
iron or other magnetic material. I use the bridge deck compartment for
my depth sounder.

On our boat the seat locker panels, lazarette hatch and companionway
hatch were all laminated teak. I sanded them down to the next layer  of
teak each time they wore down to the glue joints. After some years, the
teak in the seat lockers got below the level of the fiberglass top of
the seat and I replaced the laminated teak with solid teak planks about
rwo inches wide. The space between planks were filled with a black
sealant.I found that the seat then would flex along the sealant. (The
laminated teak had been providing stiffness to the seat.) If you use
solid planks this way you should put stiffening on the inside of the
seat.I made the thickness of the teak planks thick enough so that I
could sand the teak down without taking the surface below the
surrounding fiberglass.

Good Luck with the new boat,

Bob Johns, Wind Call #397