[Alberg30] Rookie questions

Douglas Wight doug at ripnet.com
Sun Jul 28 20:48:54 PDT 2002

Greetiings Bill:  The step in the "bridge deck " was originally intended for
a box compass.  My boat OWLET # 605 in fact had a hinged lid that covered
this step.  It is a lousy position for a compass because it is too close to
the engine.  As one gets older it surely is a great step as you climb into
the companionway whose threshold is typically quite high as in all North Sea
design boats.I mounted my compass on the starboard cockpit bulkhead and find
that to be a very good position.  Some have mounted the compass on a hinged
board that swings out into the companionway or back in behind the bulkhead
out of the way when not needed.  The main thing is to avoid being too close
to any metal mass and wiring that will affect the deviation of the compass.
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Alberg.
Yours Aye, Doug Wight, "Owlet".