[Alberg30] Rookie questions

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Mon Jul 29 04:47:10 PDT 2002

Bill,

Several things,
First I wandered the yards of Solomons on saturday looking for an alberg
after I watched My wife, T.C.s(who responded earlier) wife, and a friend
depart on a delivery of my boat to annapolis from solomons. I only found a
triton looking very nice.

nevertheless, About the cockpit lockers,I too recently redid mine and wanted
to make a comment or two. First the teak used was 1/2x 6in wide at the max
planks and was a very simple design.I suggest picking up new planks & making
new covers using epoxy and wood flour/dowls and screws. or the other way is,
and do not go for cheap, use 1/2 in teak single side plywood with teak trim
and fashion you locker covers. If the covers are done but were made of
plywood then pull the plywood, and fix any broken teak replace the plywood.

Do this with all 4 covers, the port starboard seats, the ice box and
lazurette. Finally be sure to protect the wood.  Though we oil our rails and
other standalone pieces of teak, this cannot be done if you use plywood. You
must protect it or you will find it either delaminating or getting broken
during use. Varnish the plywood. If you like the look. OR protect it by
clear epoxy. whatever the decision do the right thing and protect the wood.

JMO, I would keep the microwave, if it works, use it, it is hard enough to
get things to boil with an alcohol stove. Butane or propane would be much
better but you have to have a place to put the tanks, safely. some do it
with out a locker on the deck others use the full locker. THe microwave will
allow you to boil water, cook food , do whatever.

On #1, sand with 100, paint with bathroom mildew proof enamel. 2 coats.
cheaper & does the same job.

On #2 think about what you are going to do with the boat, you might purchase
a full electronics system with digital compass, weather meter, depth, speed,
or you may want to go to bacons and pick up an old used bulkhead mounted
compass and cut a hole. If ou choode to use that "step" as a compass mount,
do not cut any holes.  The holes leak and the water then ends up on your
motor, rusting becomes accelerated.

Good luck,

Keep posting to the list,

C.B. Currier
Infinity #57
Daybreak #458

Mary & Bill Mahony said:
> As I mentioned earlier this week, we just acquired hull #276.  She's
> currently on blocks down at Solomon's getting some survey-identified
> work done prior to launching.  I took my wife down to see her for the
> first time today (did I mention we bought her sight-unseen via the
> net?).  As we went through the boat, a couple areas caught our
> attention that I wanted to ask your thoughts on:
>
> 1.  We removed some carpeting lining the hull from the interior under
> the hanging cabinets in the salon and behind the settees....the removal
> left some foam backing and glue residue on the interior hull.  I'm
> thinking the right answer is just to sand the foam and glue remnants
> down (there's also some deteriorated finish on the interior glass) and
> repaint.  Any advice concerning how to sand and what to use to repaint?
>  Was this finish done in plain interior white in the boats as they came
> off the line?
>
> 2.  The boat has no compass...is there a recommendation for a compass?
>  Is the little compartment just aft of the companionway the preferred
> location?
>
> 3.  The cockpit seat locker panels are deteriorated...any info on what
> kind of wood these were originally?  Also, the cockpit access hatch to
> the ice box is deteriorated.  I noticed a Styrofoam backing, also
> looking pretty sad--any suggestions for upgrades?
>
> 4.  Previous owners had wedged a microwave into the aft starboard salon
> overhead cabinet.  We don't want/need the appliance, and since the
> cabinet space is already cut away, I'm thinking of crafting a cabinet
> ala Carina Vela as a Nav station in this space--any pros or cons?
>
> Apologies for the litany of questions...maybe a precursor of more to
> come!  ;-) Thanks, Bill

         Cruising the Chesapeake: A Gunkholer's Guide

  My favorite Chesapeake Bay guidebook. While it mentions marinas,
  it concentrates on anchorages--the kind of places I prefer to spend
  my time. And in addition to listing shore facilities, it rates each
  location for Beauty/Interest and Protection. This is the guide you
  need to really cruise the Chesapeake Bay--a smorgasbord of small
  creeks and coves.

   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0071363718/alberg30-20