[Alberg30] Pre-Rookie Question

Hiesener, Michael hiesenerm at stripes.osd.mil
Mon Jul 29 08:46:45 PDT 2002

Doug,

This is our first year on the boat, so our experience is limited.  But so
far I think we make a great choice.

The Alberg 30 is a stable, sea friendly boat.  However, like most similar
designs, she likes to heel over, especially when overpowered.  This can
initially be uncomfortable/scary until you get used to it....reducing sail
and easing the traveler helps this, but it can be a comfort issue.
Otherwise it is a great boat to sail!  We find that the cockpit's high
seatbacks are a big plus.

Our 18 month old does great on the boat.  We have lee clothes down below for
naps.  A bucket of water in the cockpit helps keeps him occupied.  We keep
the sailing time limited.  Three hours of sailing with no nap in seems to be
the max for our child.  A nap will greatly increase this time and give you a
break!

I think the choice of boat depends on where you will be sailing.  We sail
out of Annapolis, and it can get rather sloppy with all the boat traffic.
The Alberg is very comfortable in these conditions.  We were looking at
several types of boats above 25'.  It came down to the Pearson Triton and
Alberg 30.  The Alberg has a much larger cabin (I'm over 6") and did not
have the deck delamination problems that most Triton's seemed to have.

If your interested in the Alberg a test sail would be a great idea.  If your
located near Annapolis, I would be happy to take your family out.

Best of luck in your search!

Mike Hiesener
Terrapin #254
Annapolis