[Alberg30] Pre-Rookie Question

Kevin Blanc t.k.blanc at att.net
Wed Jul 31 16:27:16 PDT 2002

I'm the other half of Terrapin's ownership.

We started sailing when my daughter was 10 months old - she's 11 years
old now. My son is 8 and was first on the boat at about 5 months. A
million other Alberg owners could tell you the same stories. It's a
great boat and a great fleet if you have kids.

The only trick to sailing with them that little is having a place to
stash them when the going gets tough and its all adult hands on deck. We
made a playpen out of PVC pipe and netting on the port settee and left
it in for years. It was a lifesaver (literally, once or twice).

Think short trips with a destination (island, sandy beach, town with ice
cream, marina with a pool) and the kids will love you. Slog to weather
for hours on end just to end in an anchorage without a dinghy and you'll
have to drag them kicking and screaming to the boat (been there, hated
that).

Have fun. My most treasured memories are of my kids on the boat -
Cecilia standing on the opposite cockpit seat riser with both hands on
the tiller steering with the boat at 30 degrees and a huge smile on her
face, Neil sliding back and forth on the bridge deck while each time we
tacked (intentionally).

Oh, buy harnesses. We put a big padeye in the old compass box so the
kids couldn't get out of the cockpit. It't just too hard to ask them to
wear heavy life jackets when its 95 degrees out. I know that's a choice
others won't agree with.