[Alberg30] Importing to the U.S.

Peter Amos peter.amos1 at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 26 22:54:34 PDT 2002

I am in a similar situation.Although I bought my A30 in Miami with a Florida title from a U.S. citizen I was told by U.S. Customs,when I cleared out on my first trip to the Bahamas,that as I am British I would have to register my boat in the U.K. No problem,I did this and when I came back I was given a cruising permit.For a couple of years the cruising permit was renewed as a "duty paid" boat,but last year the rules changed and now if I want a continuous cruising permit I have to prove that duty has been paid i.e. it is regarded as a foreign import.A notarised bill of sale and evidence of a previous Florida title is not enough.
I wrote to U.S.Customs in Washington and the reply was a perfect example of civil service legalese but at least I had found the right department.If you want it I can let you have the name and address of the peson that replied.
I suspect that you will have to pay for a valuation by a Customs nominated surveyor and then will be charged duty on that value.I think the rate is one and one half%.That is what I was told by Customs in Florida.Just a thought but you may be able to get a reduced valuation for Customs purposes if you can  prove that any of the equipment,like the motor,was manufactured in the U.S.

Peter Amos
Tait Tait #478