[Alberg30] Dutchman reefing and electric fuel pumps.

Peter Amos peter.amos1 at btinternet.com
Sat Jun 8 04:24:27 PDT 2002

At present I have the option of roller furling or jiffy reefing on the mainsail.Both of these systems need me at the mast when I want to reef ,often holding on and muttering words like "trawler"when conditions are bouncy.Also I can rarely raise the main without it snagging under the lower shrouds or jiffy lines unless I motor into the wind on autopilot,which seems like cheating somehow, and in tight conditions,like the I.C.W. is often not possible.
I wondered if a Dutchman reefing system would be a better option for a singlehander of mature years and if it can be operated from the cockpit.Has anyone fitted  this system on an Alberg30 or had first hand knowledge of it on any boat?

I have just read the "Tip of the Month" in the Mainsheet on the Atomic 4 fuel pump.I did this conversion several years ago when I had a Tartan 27 with an A4..The electric pump I used was a Facit from NAPA that cost about $50 then.It was a fairly simple changeover,it had to be for me to do it,and worked perfectly taking me from South Florida to Hampton,Virginia and back without faltering once although I read somewhere,long after I had sold the Tartan,that these pumps had a problem.
Peter Amos
Tait Tait #478