[Alberg30] mainsheet

J Bergquist j at ship.saic.com
Thu Jun 13 06:57:17 PDT 2002

I would like to get a new mainsheet and block setup. I went to Harken's website and did their compu-spec, and they came back with about $500 worth of blocks, which is a budget-buster for me. Has anybody got any recommendations on what I should use? I am planning on using a fiddle with cam and becket on the traveler and a fiddle on the boom, which should be 4:1 purchase, I think. I have end-boom sheeting, which I assume most if not all of the rest of you have. Any recommendations on what size sheet I should use? I am thinking at least 7/16" and maybe 1/2", but the guy at Bacon's said I could get away with 3/8". I'd like to race the boat, but I will be cruising as well, pretty much exclusively on the bay. If I leave the bay, I would probably be prepared to buy a new setup. So I don't really need offshore level durability. Any comments on whether I should use sheave blocks or roller bearings?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Also for those of you who are interested, I finally got Calliope in the water and sailed her from Deale up to Annapolis. I am looking forward to meeting many of you soon!

J Bergquist
Calliope #287