[Alberg30] mainsheet

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at min.net
Thu Jun 13 13:29:22 PDT 2002

> J Bergquist said:
>
> I will stick with the setup you suggest, and 1/2" line sounds fine,
> but I am now wondering how long it should be? The guy at Bacon's
> told me I needed 100', but that sounds excessive. What do you think?

Let's see...  The boom is about 15 to 16 feet long.  The furthest
out it can go is approximately 90 degrees.  The lower fiddle block
is approximately aligned with the end of the boom.  The distance
from there to the end of the boom when it's all the way out
(discounting the vertical dimension) is the hypotenuse of a
right triangle with two 16 foot legs, or about 22.6 feet.  Four
times that (for a 4-part tackle) is 90.5 feet.  Add 9.5 feet
for the vertical dimension and a tail to hang onto, and 100 feet
sounds just about right.  There's some slop in my estimations,
so you can probably shave a little off.  I'm not sure it's worth
it, though.  If you get 90 feet instead of 100, will it save
you much?

It's not surprising; the folks at Bacons really know their stuff.
When we first bought Calypso, we went in there looking for a
spinnaker pole.  The guy at the counter knew the maximum length
of an Alberg 30 spinnaker pole off the top of his head.  I only
wish their store hours were more convenient for working stiffs
like me.

 - George

  George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
  sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/