[Alberg30] mainsheet

Dave Terrell DTERRELL.GWSTAFF.GWNMC at message.nmc.edu
Thu Jun 13 15:14:08 PDT 2002

I recommend Garhauer Marine in Uplands California. Talk to Mark. They will custom make just about anthing you want and charge you from a half to a third of what harken will charge. Their equipment is made of stainless steel and is guaranteed for 10 years. The only drawback is that their blocks can be heavier than those made by others. They are now dealing with that issue by building unibody blocks which I understand are a lot lighter and are about the same price as the stainless blocks. Their phone number is 909-985-9993. I have been very happy with both their product and their service. Garhauer is a family firm so who every you talk to may be related by marriage or blood to the founders. not all of coruse.

>>> j at ship.saic.com 06/13/02 09:57AM >>>
I would like to get a new mainsheet and block setup. I went to Harken's website and did their compu-spec, and they came back with about $500 worth of blocks, which is a budget-buster for me. Has anybody got any recommendations on what I should use? I am planning on using a fiddle with cam and becket on the traveler and a fiddle on the boom, which should be 4:1 purchase, I think. I have end-boom sheeting, which I assume most if not all of the rest of you have. Any recommendations on what size sheet I should use? I am thinking at least 7/16" and maybe 1/2", but the guy at Bacon's said I could get away with 3/8". I'd like to race the boat, but I will be cruising as well, pretty much exclusively on the bay. If I leave the bay, I would probably be prepared to buy a new setup. So I don't really need offshore level durability. Any comments on whether I should use sheave blocks or roller bearings?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Also for those of you who are interested, I finally got Calliope in the water and sailed her from Deale up to Annapolis. I am looking forward to meeting many of you soon!

J Bergquist
Calliope #287