[Alberg30] Battery draining, hull #

Bob rjohns3 at optonline.net
Fri Jun 14 10:34:19 PDT 2002

Matthew,

Starting an engine requires more power than just keeping it going. If
you started it with a lousy battery and were running with the same
battery that had started the engine, and the engine died, the chances
are that the alternator was not charging the battery. If the alternator
was working at all it could have kept the engine going even with a
battery in very bad condition. If you did some battery switching after
starting the engine it gets a little more complicated, but I still would
bet on the alternator or something like a loose cable.

Testing the alternator after starting the engine is simply a matter of
checking the the voltage at the (same) battery (without doing any
battery switching). You need a dc voltmeter that  has a voltage range of
something over 15 volts. Before starting the engine the voltmeter will
read about 12.6 volts.After starting, the reading will be more than the
voltage read before starting the engine. It could be as high as 14.1
volts, and still be normal. If the voltage does not exceed the voltage
read initially, then the alternator is not putting out. This could be
caused by a bad regulator, slipping belt on the alternator, loose cable
from the alternator. or bad alternator itself,

By the way, we keep Wind Call in Northport Harbor off the south dock at
the Northport Yacht Club. We should get together.

Bob Johns, Wind Call, #397

PS: Our boat was built in 1969 so your number is somewhat less than 397.
Look at the last digits of the serial number on the aluminum plate on
the bridge deck.