[Alberg30] Stainless Corrosion

Wally Moran helm at georgianbaysailing.ca
Mon Jun 17 16:14:48 PDT 2002

Crevice corrosion starts when you have water but no air if I remember
correctly.  So, eliminate the water or provide air. If you can see
corrosion, the big danger is what is hidden at the microscopic level,
ready to break under stress.
Don't be cheap, replace the bolts, there is no safe way to stop it.
Make sure you rebed the bolts properly, overdrilling the holes and
refilling them with epoxy, then drilling to size and using a suitable
bedding compound. That eliminates the water. By the way, if there is
water in the deck causing corrosion, what sort of shape is your core
in? Have you checked?
Here is what Calder says: "...if stainless steel is used in an area
where stagnant water can collect, sooner or later its passivity (me:
resistance to corrosion) will break down and it will become active
(normally in isolated pinholes and crevices)", page 135, Boatowner's
Mechanical and Electrical Manual.
Good luck...

Wally Moran

--
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in
sailing. Anon