[Alberg30] Bulkhead mount compass

Robert Kirk isobar at cablespeed.com
Tue Jun 18 08:17:04 PDT 2002

Mike Lehman asks:
>I am planning to purchase a bulhead mount compass. I've looked a West
>Marine, they carry three: (1) Ritchie [$215} (2) Aqua Meter [$100] (3)
>Plastimo [$180]. Mostly I use the GPS and have a good handheld, so I'm
>thinking going cheap. Any advice [experience] about compasses? Readability
>is important, and since I am used to a compass with a flat card, I think a
>dual reading compass is necessary. Digitals are out.

Mike... I put in the Ritchie bulkhead 'Navigator' last year. I, too, like
the flat/dual card which is the reason I got it. It works well on the
Alberg's bulkhead even without the teak shim they sell (at a gross price)
to make it perfectly vertical. I was going to make my own shim till I
called Ritchie and found out the Alberg's pitch isn't bad. No problem; I'm
happy with it - vast improvement over the useless standard compass in the
"step".

The only drawback is that it also incorporates a clinometer which Janet
keeps her eyes glued on whenever the wind get above 10 kts...

Cheers,
Bob Kirk
Isobar #181

 |  Boatowners Mechanical And Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder  |
 | http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/007009618X/alberg30-20 |