[Alberg30] Bulkhead mount compass

Taylor Echlin taylor at echlinvests.com
Tue Jun 18 08:19:02 PDT 2002

Hi Mike:

Last year I purchased the Plastimo Contest 101 bulkhead mount compass.  The
big card reads really well, and the red night light is quite effective.

However, so far I don't really like it.  Because you are reading the card
face at the front - everything is "backwards" from a normal compass that you
read at the back of the card.  That takes a lot to get used to.

I also am quite frustrated with the fairly large discrepancies between my
Plastimo and my LORAN compass - to the point where I don't know which
compass to believe.  I bought the optional compensation card - and found
that it would vary my compass headings 40-50 degrees - when adjusting the
N-S and E-W compensation screws.  I don't trust my results from swinging the
compass this Spring.

Also - the plastic secure tab broke when I tried to remove the face plate to
install the optional compensation card.  That really ticked me off - because
I was so gentle in depressing the plastic secure tab.

I believed the ads when I selected the Plastimo.  Now I wish I had purchased
another brand.

Taylor