[Alberg30] Deck Coring - Epoxy

J Bergquist j at ship.saic.com
Thu Jun 20 08:04:12 PDT 2002

CB-

sounds like you've had a much different experience with West than I have. Maybe I will try the MAAS next time. Thanks for the insight.

I am trying to get some more detailed information about core. I just did a quick check on Defender's website and it does appear that the balsa is about half price of the foam that they sell (though the foam does not specify area units so I am assuming their units are the same size). The foam can be rigid or scored, but my recollection is that even the scored foam is still pretty doggone stiff compared to the balsa. It depends on what you want and what you can do. But if there is any curvature in your surface (which I think there will be), I think you will need to weight the foam or bag it in order to get good adhesion. Balsa will be a little easier to get it to stick and adhere to the bedding compound.

Hopefully I will get some more specific core information for you later today.

 |  Boatowners Mechanical And Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder  |
 | http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/007009618X/alberg30-20 |