[Alberg30] Advice on Restoring Gunwhales, Lazarettes, Hatches

Dave Terrell DTERRELL.GWSTAFF.GWNMC at message.nmc.edu
Mon Jun 24 09:31:06 PDT 2002

I am restoring the teak on talisman(432). A friend gave me a liter size bottle of one step teak cleaner made by amazon. It took the dirt out of the teak just as it said it would - easy as pie. I did two applications to make sure it was clean. then I sanded with 80 grit to remove any last traces of discoloration. I am going to coat it with cetol light (I know this is heresy for some) and expect the result will be excellent. I have one coat on right now and it looks great. With decent weather, I should have 3 or 4 coats on by the weekend. The mfg recommends 24 hours and sanding with 120 grit between coats. Cetol light does not have the offending orange tinge or as much of it as t he original product. If you want a gloss, you can purchase a gloss cetol to over the base product. A friend did this and his gloss job looks good.

I applied Cetol on my last boat and the parts were cetoled did not need any retouching for several years. The varnished parts needed treatment every year. I sail on the great lakes  so salt is not a concern for me.

I want to sail,not coat teak - hence my choice.

If the teak is not too far gone, it can be done in place. If not, I will wait to hear from others.

>>> Richard.Hansen at hqda.army.mil 06/24/02 10:02AM >>>
Task:  Restore the original woodwork on Sunspur, 235 (1967); badly needs it.
Teak appears dry, grey, and worn as it could be (no splits yet).
Proximity/availability to boat suggests removal of trim.

Basic question:   Is it advisable or not advisable to remove various pieces
to better facilitate restoration? Thought about removing all BUT the toe
rail (gunwhales, stern hatch, lazarette seats, companionway hatch/rails).

Detailed questions:
1. At the risk of inciting internet civil war, I'll ask if the age/condition
of the teak suggest oil treatment vs. varnish?
2. Gunwhales - I see 7-8 horizontal screws and 2 into the cabin, but there
is a teak quarter round on the outside.  No apparent thru-hulls so I presume
that 1/4 rd rail attaches to gunwhale not glass?
3. Lazarette seats - Would appear to be easier to disassemble seat with
hinge attached, i.e., remove screws attaching it to glass?
4. Companion Hatch - four metal retaining plates are a bear to access
tighten untighten, whats the secret?

Would appreciate any advice/experience you can pass along.  I routinely
underestimate dissassembly/assembly jobs, and find out afterward that I
should have just fixed in place.  Your thoughts?

 |  Boatowners Mechanical And Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder  |
 | http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/007009618X/alberg30-20 |