[Alberg30] Heat guns for varnish stripping

Daniel Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Mon Jun 24 19:20:15 PDT 2002

Wally Moran wrote:

> one caution for those who haven't used a heat gun - it can harm the
> glass, don't overheat in any one spot.

I have found that the large size, thin steel "painters shields" that
they sell at paint stores is an ideal deflector, allowing varnish to be
removed from the toe rails and coamings without melting the glass,
though you've still got to be careful.

Also be careful not to accidentially get burned as you get tired, and of
where you set the hot gun down. Before I learned the heat gun trick 6
years ago, I scraped off the old varnish the hard way, always with a
file in my pocket for sharpening the scraper. Using the heat gun is a
joy by comparison, far faster and easier, and less woods scraped off.

--Dan S.
dans at stmktg.com
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Cayuga Lake, Ithaca, NY
 |  Boatowners Mechanical And Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder  |
 | http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/007009618X/alberg30-20 |