[Alberg30] Group buy of trailers?

Scott tristan at one.net
Fri Jun 28 20:06:06 PDT 2002

Hi Gang,

I will give a testimony any day any time for the greatest trailers -
TRIAD Trailer!  I bought one for around $3,000 for my old Pearson
Electra, an Alberg designed pocket cruiser (with a full keel and 3 1/2'
draft) that was the precursor of the popular Ensign daysailer.  I love
the lines of the Electra more than the Ensign plus we had a small,
comfortable cabin for overnighting.  The Electra displaces 3000# plus
engine and equipment.  Mike Orr of TRIAD Trailer has been in the
business that his father started back in the 1960's.  They have designs
including center of gravity, etc. for all of the old Classic Plastic!
He built our trailer and painted it battleship gray.  It had two wheels
that were rated for about 5200 lbs., surge brakes, a custom steel ladder
forward for easy deck access, a strong retrieval winch with strap, full
wiring, outstanding welding of quality steel and great structural
integrity and strength.  We got more compliments on the trailer than our
beautiful Alberg designed Electra, Spindrift!

We picked the trailer up in New Milford, Connecticut, a long days drive
from Cincinnati in the Midwest.  The facility is excellent and Mike and
his staff are without doubt some of the finest and most knowledgable
folks making boat trailers.  They take quality and value seriously.  You
also receive a personal briefing from Mike on the trailer, how to
properly maintain it and operate it.  We drove from New Milford, Ct to
Cleveland, Ohio where we had a travel lift drop our boat down onto the
trailer and it's six adjustable screw pads for support.  The boat fit
like a glove and the balance was perfect!

Later, when we reached the inland lake where we kept Spindrift for the
season, once we rigged the mast and added the outboard, the boat slid
smoothly into the water after we adjusted out the tongue extender.
Retreival in the Fall was a snap.

IT is much better to pay more and get a quality trailer for a boat like
an Alberg 30 since it also serves as a winter storage cradle that is
mobile...want to work on the Alberg over winter break, bring her home
for a few days.  Having a high quality trailer means a great expansion
of your cruising grounds, too!  If you are a Southern Sailor and get a
little hot in July in the Albermarle Sound or in Florida, trail up the
coast to Maine or Nova Scotia!

Mike told me when I wanted to renovate my old trailer for my current
boat, a Bluenose 24 full keel Nova Scotian beauty designed by William
Roue, designer of Canada's famed Bluenose Schooner, that the cost would
wind up almost the same as a new trailer!  I found out the hard way that
he was correct!

My next trailer will be a TRIAD!

Mike also can recommend overnight accomodations in the area and great
spots to tour including the Mystic Seaport Museum up the Coast in
Mystic, Ct.

Scott Wallace