[Alberg30] Cutless bearing?

Randy Katz randyk at bertschi.org
Sun Mar 10 17:20:00 PST 2002

Greetings,
    A question about replacing the shaft bearing.  Don Casey in "This Old
Boat" describes going through this task as follows:

    -- Remove prop

    --  Remove bearing housing (the metal housing just fwd of the prop
that's attached to the skeg)  The bearing will come out with the housing or
will perhaps remain partway stuck into the skeg.

    --  Remove the bearing from the housing or tug it out the rest of the
way from the skeg

    -- Replace and voila-- done!  No shaft removal required.

    My questions to you hallowed experts and old salts are these:
    *  Does the above describe a sensible approach to our fine vessels when
this job is needed?

    *  Before any of the above operations, if the shaft wiggles only  the
merest, tiny-tiniest bit is any of this nonsense required?

    Many thanks!

    --
Randy Katz
910 - 32nd Ave

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |