[Alberg30] Nova Scotia to Bermuda?

Scott Wallace tristan at one.net
Mon Mar 11 15:27:07 PST 2002

Once you cleared out into the sea you could sail between Nova Scotia and
New Brunswick, keeping a weather eye out, and, depending on weather, make
it down Maine and off shore from Massachusetts...you could clear Cape Cod
(watch your charts for deadly sandbars and banks) then come back inshore
along Connecticut between Long Island and New York...once you cleared New
York you could keep off shore till the Inland Coastal Waterway and sail
down through the sounds of North Carolina, keeping inside through South
Carolina, then you might be hunky dory...it would be exciting exiting the
Saint Lawrence River and sailing down through the Straits to the
States...that time of year make sure you are OK for weather layovers...

Scott Wallace

Dan Morley wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>     I have been dreaming of sailing my A30, hull #322, to the Carribean,
> and it looks like the dream may actually come true next winter.
>     I am near Morrisburg, Ontario, on the St Lawrence River, and had
> always envisioned a trip down Lake Champlain, thence to New York, and
> then into the Carribean by one of many possible routes (including
> Bermuda).
>     I have only recently wondered what it might be like to sail out the
> St Lawrence, past PEI, and depart North America from Halifax, Nova
> Scotia, bound for Bermuda.  I would be starting out at the end of Sept,
> and probably leaving Halifax by end of Oct.  I certainly realize some of
> the problems - fighting the Gulf Stream, possibility of late hurricane,
> possibility of Northerlies against the Gulf stream, fog, cold.
>     Does anyone know if  those concerns are absolute show-stoppers that
> no-one in their right mind would tackle, or if they just present a
> reasonable risk?  Has anyone out there ever done that route southbound,
> or know anyone who has?  Could I consider hugging the coast out of
> Halifax, down as far as New York?
>     Hopefully, not sounding too crazy,
> Dan Morley

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |