[Alberg30] Nova Scotia to Bermuda?

Dan Morley dan.morley at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 11 15:46:23 PST 2002

Hi Folks,
    I have been dreaming of sailing my A30, hull #322, to the Carribean,
and it looks like the dream may actually come true next winter.
    I am near Morrisburg, Ontario, on the St Lawrence River, and had
always envisioned a trip down Lake Champlain, thence to New York, and
then into the Carribean by one of many possible routes (including
Bermuda).
    I have only recently wondered what it might be like to sail out the
St Lawrence, past PEI, and depart North America from Halifax, Nova
Scotia, bound for Bermuda.  I would be starting out at the end of Sept,
and probably leaving Halifax by end of Oct.  I certainly realize some of
the problems - fighting the Gulf Stream, possibility of late hurricane,
possibility of Northerlies against the Gulf stream, fog, cold.
    Does anyone know if  those concerns are absolute show-stoppers that
no-one in their right mind would tackle, or if they just present a
reasonable risk?  Has anyone out there ever done that route southbound,
or know anyone who has?  Could I consider hugging the coast out of
Halifax, down as far as New York?
    Hopefully, not sounding too crazy,
Dan Morley

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |