[Alberg30] Re: A30 Cruise to New York and Long Island Sound - South Shore

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Fri Mar 29 14:50:02 PST 2002

Bob,
   Jamaica Bay is by far easier than East Rockaway inlet, but East Rock is fairly easy in anything other than a real blow. The back of Jamaica Bay is still pretty much the same except there isn't very much commercial traffic anymore. I'm not sure about the Lawrence Golf Club having a marina. I'll ask a few people. Keystone is still there and so long as there is some breeze (to blow away the gnats) is probably your best bet for the Five Towns area. My wife's family used to keep there power boat at Keystone a few years ago.
   If your caught by nasty weather going this way, sail for Coney Island till your in near the along shore channel, then head east into Jamaica Bay. Entering the bay this way is doable in any weather short of a full Hurricane (and maybe then too). Rockaway Inlet (the jetty entrance to Jamaica Bay) can get real nasty if the current, wind and waves are fighting. If the weather is like this, wait it out before you go for East Rockaway Inlet. It's sort of like a mini copy of Rockaway Inlet.
   If you come into Jamaica Bay, My marina (and the continuing home of my ex Alberg) is just North of the Marine Parkway Bridge. There should be plenty of open slips, just read your chart getting into Dead Horse Bay.
Regards,
Brian
Glad to be able to help any way I can.