[Alberg30] Cockpit sole hatches? + Read Raban

greg greg at vandenbergphoto.com
Sun Mar 10 20:22:11 PST 2002

We replaced the cockpit sole 5 yrs ago and haven't miss the chrome plated
access port that was never reinstalled. I would worry about putting anything
other than specified hatches in the bottom of a cockpit , although others on
the list have recommended it for them selves.
- Greg

George Dinwiddie wrote:

> Randy Katz wrote:
> >     Another query here-- has anyone installed the plastic hatches in their
> > cockpit floors in order to achieve somewhat easier access to the internal
> > works of said A30 vessels?
>
> Some have done so, but it's not in my heart to make such a change.
> I'll tell you, it made my heart do the macarena when I took the
> skil-saw to the cockpit sole a few years back.  The only thing that
> steadied my hand was knowing she needed to have the coring replaced
> and would be stronger than ever when I was done.  I almost wish I
> hadn't put the inspection plate back in.
>
> I'm not sure what you're trying to reach.  I got access to the
> rudder post stuffing box by making the aft end of the port
> cockpit locker removeable.  I've considered making a removeable
> panel in the forward end of the starboard cockpit locker for
> access to the water pump and back of the engine.  But there's
> so much stuff in there that I continue to put a piece of 4inch
> foam on top of the engine and climb over the top.
>
>  - George
>
> --
>   George Dinwiddie                             gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
>   The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in
>   sailing.                                    http://www.Alberg30.org/

 |  Foul weather?  Deep discounts on Henri Lloyd and 2001 Gill gear. |
 | *** http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/sailnet/t.asp?id=1066 *** |