[Alberg30] Nova Scotia to Bermuda?

sousa, stephen sousa_stephen at emc.com
Mon Mar 11 16:29:16 PST 2002

Dan,

I reside in New England. The Marion to Bermuda Race held each year departs
from Marion, MA on Buzzards Bay and heads out to Bermuda. This route would
seem more forgiving than departing Nova Scotia and running the course to
Bermuda. Historically, with good winds these boats arrive in Bermuda 4-5
days after departing Marion.

Also an answer to your previous question on cutlass bearings. The aperture
is bolted into the deadwood of the Alberg into tapped fiberglass holes. The
aperture is threaded onto the stern tube, I would recommend having someone
hold the stern tube from inside the boat. In some cases the tube will spin
within the caulking. I would also check the rubber tubing that attaches the
stuffing box to the stern tube (very inexpensive) but can cause problems.

When I rebuilt Carina Vela #114, I replaced the shaft, stern tube and
cutlass bearing. The stern tube was removed by heating internally with a
torch (not to much) and turned out the hull. When the new stern tube was
replaced I sealed it with 3M 5200.

If you plan on making that type of trip. I would also check the pin in the
rudder stock which fits into the rudder shoe. They had a tendency to wear
and your rudder isn't supported on the bottom.

Regards,
Stephen
Carina Vela